Our History
The beautiful Grade II listed building we are so fortunate to worship in was built in 1841 and named High Street Chapel at that time, as can still be seen on the front of the church. The name High Street Baptist Church was adopted when it became a member of the Baptist Union of Great Britain.
The original founders of the English-speaking Baptist cause in Merthyr Tydfil were William Matthews, Martha Matthews, and William Bowen. At the time of its foundation, there were just 16 members. It is believed that the first forerunner of High Street was called Providence however, more certain is that the original gathering of English-speaking Baptists took place above a blacksmith’s premises somewhere behind where Hope Church now stands. While this seems to have served well on Sundays, it was too noisy for mid-week meetings and so moved to a room above two cottages in Morgan Joseph Square. The first known Minister was Rev. Daniel Davies of Molleston in Pembrokeshire and according to the Church Centenary booklet, “He was a man of considerable ability but fell into sin and was excluded for some irregularity.”
The congregation grew steadily, so the church needed to look for new premises. The General Baptists had “become extinct” in the town and so they were able to purchase Bethel Chapel, Georgetown at a cost of £200. After repairs were carried out, it was re-opened in 1813.
There had been a rapid succession of Ministers during the early years of the cause, most of them leaving after various difficulties. This changed with the arrival of Rev. Thomas Harris in 1824. He remained until 1836 and the congregation grew so much that an extension of the building was necessary, costing £495 – over double the original purchase price. Related to the growth in number was an increase in the number of Baptisms – at this point they were carried out in the River Taff which was highly polluted at the time.
It was recorded that at the time of the Merthyr Rising, Rev. Harris preached a sermon of “unusual excellence”, but nothing is known of his standpoint. It is quite possible that James Abbott who gave evidence against Dic Penderyn was a member of the cause. Rev. Harris was succeeded in office by Rev. Thomas Davies who began his service in December 1836. His first service, as he later described it, was not the best start possible. “The lane leading from the Tramroad to the Chapel was covered with water ankle deep, and there being no gas-light the people who gathered to worship had to endure the discomfort and danger of sitting during the service with wet feet or return home.”
Rev. Davis promptly organised a team of men to sort out the roadway with cinders from the tips and, by the following Sunday, even arranged a “dim religious light” over the gate to guide worshippers to the Service.
The congregation continued to grow and that led to the need to purchase the site where High Street Chapel was to be built in 1841. It is believed to stand on the site of an old brewery. During the meeting, where it was discussed whether to make this significant move, Rev. Davies quoted significantly, “Be of good courage, be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed for the Lord thy God is with thee withersoever thou goest.”
-
Worship
Worship with us at 11am on Sundays. We are a growingly active and lively congregation with lots going on for everyone.
-
About us
All are welcome to our services and our various social activities and groups. Why not try our Friendship Cafe for tasty treats and hot drinks?
-
Contact us
Please get in touch with any questions or requests and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.